We've Moved

We've moved! See RestoringMyBalance.com

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Parenting 101: Create Oppurtunity

Today, I have the fourth post in my Parenting 101 series :)

If you want a re-cap of what I've suggested already 
start here for the introduction and 
Tip #1 is here
and tips #2 is here
Before I go on, I just really want to let you know
that my home is NOT perfect,
my kids are NOT perfect
Family Photo Flop #12,459
and by all means...
I AM NOT PERFECT- not even close!

What brings me to sharing this advice 
with whoever will listen is an overwhelming sense of 
gratitude that I was not alone in raising my own kiddos.
Every good picture is found in a batch of 250 not so good pictures
Though, I don't want to take away from 
any effort that my hubby and I put into raising our children,
there is NO way I want to take the credit for most of 
the habits and attitudes that we created in our home.

EVERYTHING I have done or will continue to do has been
a direct result of help from above!
I have been prompted to start a habit and not until
several years later have I seen the results of that habit formed.
If I deserve any credit at all,
it has merely been that I've been a good listener. 
Nothing more-
But I promise you that these Parenting Tips are the very core
of how we've raised our own children-
and though they won't create perfect kids-
they will create a more peaceful home environment!
That much I can testify to with all my heart.

So now on to the meat of the matter!

Proverbs 22:6 councils parents to 
“Train up a child in the way he should go; 
and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”

I live by this mantra with my kids-

Create in your homes the opportunity to feel the 
benefits of a job well done
(and by benefits I don't mean a candy bar or 
ice cream cone if they get their homework done)

Create in your home the very personal opportunity to 
feel the spirit and receive answers to prayers. 
This does not just happen naturally in a busy home, 
you have to actively seek and create these opportunities. 

It is important to be prepared at all times to bear testimony 
of the principles you value and want to help your children
appreciate and value as well. 
If we can teach them to find their own 
testimonies while they are in the protection of our homes, 
they will be better prepared to bear that testimony to their friends 
and to stand firm when faced with temptations or trials.

Long ago I had a dear friend give me some council that 
shaped my thoughts and attitudes. 
She is older than I am, she married a little later in life
and never had children. 

I was bemoaning that she had so much time to dedicate
to personal study and worship. 
She said, “Treisha, you were called to be a missionary
and trainer to SIX of God's most valiant soldiers 
that will certainly be needed in our Heavenly Fathers 
army standing for what is truth and righteousness. 
I was called for another work. It’s important that we EACH
fulfill our callings to our better than best ability.” 

I love that she viewed motherhood as missionary work. 
I think my outlook and approach to parenting changed 
a lot that day. I started to view my role as a mother as much 
more than an endless “To Do list” and more of an endless 
“To Teach” list! 

Don't discount the small stuff you do in your homes.

Dedicate one night a week as Family Night,
a night when NO other commitment can interfere, 
including email, texts and social media notifications!
Enjoying an FC Dallas game in Texas
Study the scriptures together-
your kiddos WILL learn from them and with instruction
WILL learn to apply them to their own lives.

Enjoy family meal time- nightly if possible.
It is around the kitchen table to that I learn the most 
about my children. They may not tell me they've had a bad 
day when I say "How was school", but when they are at the 
table and I can SEE their demeanor is lackluster-
I know to push a little harder and get to the core of their needs
BEFORE I send them off to bed to fret over their concerns. 
Raising a Family is truly a TEAM effort- maintain strong family bonds
Consider if you clean your house once a year-
It's a long, tedious & unpleasant job. 
But, if you do just a little cleaning each day & 
with the help of others it goes quick, and 
sometimes you end up having a little fun along the way! 

The same is true with teaching and raising our children, 
especially where spirituality is concerned. 
If we teach spiritual matters in our home infrequently, 
it is a tedious task for our children and we tend to lose their attention. 
But if we share spiritual thoughts and teachings, 
a little each day, we earn their attention and 
they have room enough to receive what we teach. 

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 says, “And these words, 
which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: 
And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, 
and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, 
and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, 
and when thou risest up.” 

So basically ALWAYS is a good time for teaching your children
the truth that you want them to learn.
Huddled together on a very COLD day at the beach
ALWAYS is the time for guiding them and instructing them 
on becoming the Adults you want them to be!
One of the scarier moments in my parenting career- I no likey heights!
And ALWAYS is the time to build and fortify the values
that will keep your children safe, secure and prepared 
for a life of joy, peace and fulfillment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment